There’s Nothing “Routine” About Your Dental Cleanings
Written by Admin iTech
Dr. Anakarina DeAngelis is a dentist in Carlsbad, California who works hard to ensure that her patients have the dental care routine that works best for their oral health and wellness. What is necessary for one patient may not be essential for another, depending on their unique dental situations. However, one thing is always important: routine dental cleanings and examinations.
How often should I see the dentist?
The American Dental Association has continually stressed the importance of seeing a dentist at least every six months. This is vital for several reasons. Below are just a few of the reasons why the team at DeAngelis Family Dentistry will encourage patients to see their dentist regularly for examinations and dental cleanings:
- The prevention of cavities. Cavities, or tooth decay, can significantly damage the natural tooth. These areas of decay can become large and deep, infecting the inner regions of the tooth and requiring such treatments as root canal therapy. Cavities found early on can be diagnosed and treated before becoming a more significant concern for the patient.
- The prevention of tooth loss. Your teeth are meant to last a lifetime, but only if you take good care of them. Conditions such as periodontal disease can put the smile at risk of permanent damage that cannot be reversed. Periodontal disease is another condition that can be effectively treated without any long-term effects if found in the earliest stages.
- Saving money. Everyone likes to save money, especially since many patients avoid the dentist because of fear of treatment costs. Fortunately, patients with dental insurance through their place of employment will often find that these routine six-month evaluations and cleanings are completely free with their benefits coverage. Additionally, patients who visit the dentist regularly often avoid more expensive procedures later on, saving money in the long run.
- Breath freshening. Bad breath, or halitosis, may point to an oral health concern. Many patients can keep bad breath under control by managing conditions such as dry mouth and visiting the dentist for regular cleanings.
- Improve overall health and wellness. The oral-systemic connection is the known link between a patient’s oral health and the health of their body. Conditions such as periodontal disease can contribute to a host of medical issues as the infection in the mouth can enter into and spread through the patient’s bloodstream. Patients with periodontal disease often have a higher risk of preterm labor in pregnant women, diabetes, heart disease, and strokes.
What can I expect during routine visits to the dentist?
Making that six-month appointment with the dentist is critical to keeping the smile healthy. Patients will find that these visits are pleasant and pain-free. The dental hygienist will clean the teeth and gums with electronic instruments to ensure the best results. Patients can also ask questions about their oral health and their brushing or flossing habits to discuss ways to better care for the smile between visits. If the dental hygienist notices anything of concern, he or she will relay this information to Dr. Anakarina DeAngelis for further evaluation and a second opinion. During these visits, patients may also have x-rays and photographic images taken for their records and to diagnose conditions that might otherwise be unseen by the dental team.
Are you looking for a dentist near you that offers routine dental cleanings in Carlsbad, California?
Learn more about the best oral hygiene routines and the importance of regular cleanings and examinations with the team at DeAngelis Family Dentistry. Our practice, conveniently located at 6010 Hidden Valley Road, Suite #105, is open to new and established patients in the area. Call (760) 444-5507 to request an appointment with Dr. Anakarina DeAngelis and her team.