The Benefits of Dentures
Written by Dr. DeAngelis
For many years, dentures have been one of the most popular ways for patients to replace missing teeth. They are an affordable, economical option covered in part by dental insurance plans. This makes them a great method of restoring the smile following significant tooth loss—or even the loss of a single tooth. In the past, many patients have associated dentures with fake-looking teeth that fail to stay in place. But dentures have come a long way over the years and look and function better than ever! At DeAngelis Family Dentistry, our team of professionals can help.
What types of dentures are available?
Dr. Anakarina DeAngelis of Carlsbad, CA is pleased to offer several types of dentures for patients to choose from. These include:
- Partial dentures. This type of denture is made of an acrylic and metal framework and snaps into place within the dental arch to replace one or more teeth on the top or bottom arch. These dentures are easy to remove, clean, and adjust as needed to restore efficiency.
- Full dentures. Full dentures are made of a high-quality acrylic material and fabricated to match the patient’s smile as much as possible. They replace every tooth within the dental arch. Patients can keep these restorations in place with denture adhesives or natural suction.
- Implant-retained dentures. For patients who want the ultimate in dentures, implant-retained dentures might be appropriate. These are conservative full dentures held with several implants along the arch, placed during oral surgery. Patients find that these dentures make it easier to enjoy all their favorite foods and avoid loose or ill-fitted appliances. They also maintain the natural bone to prevent the sunken jaw often associated with long-term denture wearing.
Which type of denture is right for me?
When working with the team at DeAngelis Family Dentistry, patients can determine what the best solution is for their unique situation. There is no “one size fits all” solution for each patient with missing teeth. During an evaluation with our dentist, patients can learn about their options and decide if they are a good fit for dentures. If they are, they can learn what type. Patients might also consider alternatives to dentures, including dental bridges or dental implants, depending on their situation.
What are the benefits of dentures?
There are many advantages to using dentures. Dentures:
- Restore the appearance of the smile
- Improve chewing ability
- Improve speech and pronunciation
- Restore confidence and self-esteem
- Last a long time with proper care
How to handle uncomfortable dentures
Patients who have dentures that are uncomfortable and don’t fit properly will want to schedule an appointment with Dr. Anakarina DeAngelis for an evaluation. If a denture cannot be adjusted to fit properly, a replacement may need to be made.
Ways to maintain your dentures over time
Following proper care for dentures is the best way to extend the longevity of your dentures and reduce costs and replacements over time. Below are a few ways to care for these appliances to keep them fitting correctly and functioning:
- Clean the dentures at least twice a day
- Soak complete dentures overnight in an approved denture cleaner to keep moist
- Store in a provided case if needed to prevent breakage
- Avoid leaving dentures in extreme heat or cold
- Bring your dentures to your regular dental checkups for evaluations
- Have your dentures readjusted as needed to improve fit and function
- Address breakage of dentures as soon as possible with your dental provider
Learn more about dentures in Carlsbad
If you are considering dentures near you and want to speak to a dentist in Carlsbad that offers partial, full, and implant-retained options, we welcome you to call (760) 444-5507 to request an appointment with Dr. Anakarina DeAngelis of DeAngelis Family Dentistry. The office is located in Suite #105 at 6010 Hidden Valley Road.